Tuesday, April 14, 2020

I'm Re-Reading ROM: SPACEKNIGHT #1 - #75....

As of Monday, April 13, 2020...I finally have EVERY issue of ROM!!!


My ROM collecting adventure did not begin back in the 1970's or 1980's, although I did purchase one issue of ROM back in 1985 (ROM Annual #4) because Steve Ditko did the art and I was completely obsessed with anything Ditko at the time.


That aside, I began my "ROM Quest" while digging through the back issue boxes at my Local Comic Shop in November 2019 and found ROM #2 through issues in the 40's. I had always liked ROM but was never quite on board since he looked kinda weird and clunky for a Space Knight. One of my friends had the ROM toy from Parker Brothers and it looked VERY cool! It lit up and made sounds but didn't bend a whole lot which was kind of disappointing.








So I purchased this large chunk of ROM comics and thought maybe someday I would be able to slowly track down the rest of the issues and if I'm lucky...FIND TIME TO READ THEM!!!
As the 2019 Holidays approached, my LCS advertised a HUGH sale for back issues. During that sale I was able to get an even larger chunk, each issue around 25 cents EACH! There were a few issues that were a little trickier to get like the appearances of the X-Men but my LCS came through again!




I was able to get  EVERY issue except for 2 key issues. #1 and #75.


#1 is naturally difficult to get because well, it's the 1st and EVERYONE wants it! Luckily enter MyComicShop.com (Highly recommended!) where I was able to get a decent copy and man, they are really fast! #75 however still eluded me. It had a very low print run and wasn't in the back issue boxes. I decided to check eBay and there it was! Right sell and the right price. So now I'm going to read each issue and give a brief synopsis and rate the STORY, ART, COVER ART with how many NEUTRALIZERS it gets. For example:

COVER: Outstanding art!

So here it goes! Onward to issue #1....


No comments:

Post a Comment

ROM #1 (December 1979, Actual: 9-4-1979)

ROM: SPACEKNIGHT #1 Source:   www.comics.org Script:   Bill Mantlo Pencils:  Sal Buscema Inks:  Sal Buscema Colors:  ...